Family Outreach Specialist
The Utah DHHS Office of the Medical Examiner seeks to hire two part-time interns.
Known as Family Outreach Specialists, these interns engage with recently bereaved
families to better understand the circumstances that precede a suicide and/or drug
related death. Additionally, interns assist with mortality surveillance activities,
research coordination, basic data management and analysis, and bereavement outreach.
Interns significantly advance epidemiological surveillance at the OME.
In order to be considered for this position, you must be progressing toward a master’s degree or are in your third or fourth year of your bachelor’s degree in social work, nursing, public health, pre-medicine, psychology, sociology or some other social science field.
Candidates must be able to work in person at the OME in Taylorsville, Utah for the majority of
their work hours. Interns may not work more than 20% of their total work hours remotely.
The ideal candidate:
- Has some experience with REDCap or other database management;
- Has a basic understanding of epidemiology and public health;
- Has experience conducting interviews on sensitive topics;
- Has professional experience working with individuals or groups of people who are in
- Is bilingual in English and Spanish.
The candidate must:
- Have experience conducting interviews or experience in customer service;
- Have completed an undergraduate level research methods course in a social science;
- Be comfortable talking about sensitive topics, including suicide, drug overdose,
bereavement, and other traumatic life experiences;
- Be proficient in basic spreadsheet functions;
- Be able to sit for two to three hours at a time;
- Be self-motivated and work independently;
- Be a clear communicator in writing and in virtual settings, including phone
- Be detailed oriented
Please click here for more information or to apply.
This jobs board is provided as a courtesy to our social work community. All job postings are the responsibility of the posting entity. Prospective applicants should do their due diligence in confirming/investigating any posted job opportunity. The University of Utah is not responsible for the content of, nor any resulting employment arrangements resulting from, job postings from outside entities.
Discussion channel for insightful chat about our events, news, and activities.