Are you interested in the challenge of helping individuals with a mental illness that
also have criminal charges? Would you enjoy helping these individuals progress through the criminal justice system?
Then this Licensed Clinical Social Worker position may be for you.
The Licensed Clinical Social Worker - Jail Based Competency Restoration Unit position is affiliated with the Utah State Hospital but the individual will work on site at the Salt Lake County Jail. They will provide a variety of professional tasks related to developing, implementing, and conducting specialized individual psychotherapy in a jail setting. The Licensed Clinical Social Worker - Jail Based Competency Restoration Unit may provide clinical intervention with individuals and conduct clinical assessments. They will document client progress, compile case histories, and prepare other related reports.
Utah State Hospital ONLY accepts the Licensed Clinical Therapist license in order to comply with accreditation issues.
This position is at our competency restoration program which is based in the Salt Lake County Jail.
Licensed Clinical Social Worker -Jail Based Competency Restoration Unit
In this position, you'll be responsible for:
- preparing mental health assessments and evaluating the needs of patients.
- conducting individual and group therapy sessions.
- keeping detailed and accurate patient records.
- working closely with a multidisciplinary team to achieve treatment plan objectives.
- acting as an expert witness, giving testimony in court hearings as necessary.
The Ideal Candidate
The very best person for this position:
- has a current Utah Licensed Clinical Social Worker License.
- is passionate about working with mentally ill patients.
- is comfortable working with inmates in a jail setting.
- has experience creating social history profiles.
- is proficient in conducting productive therapeutic group sessions.
This position may be under filled at the Certified Social Worker (CSW) level (with a Masters degree). Pay range depends on licensure, as follows:
- Certified Social Worker- $25.50 to $32.35 per hour
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker- $30.20 to $34.01 per hour
We Know You'll Love Working On Our Team! Here's Why:
The Utah State Hospital is a state-of-the-art psychiatric facility, fully accredited from the Joint Commission and Centers for Medicaid and Medicare, certifying the high quality of the Hospital's environment and treatment programs.
Joining our team will allow you to provide excellent care in a safe and respectful environment to promote hope and improved quality of life for individuals with mental illness. For more information about the Utah State Hospital, our philosophy, mission, and treatment programs.
You can find more information about the Utah State Hospital here.
Example of Duties
(This list contains tasks that are typically associated with the job. It is not all-inclusive and may vary from position to position. Hiring agencies may, depending on the specific nature of the position, modify these tasks and/or identify additional tasks, based on a current position analysis.)
- Provides case management to include evaluating the needs of clients, developing and implementing treatment plans, and monitoring progress
- Assists individuals and families with problems
- Provides consultation, makes recommendations, gives appropriate advice, and/or facilitates decisions
- Acts as an expert witness. Gives testimony and /or recommendations in court cases and/or hearings
- Facilitates the use of research data to improve existing programs and utilization of resources
(This list contains knowledge, skills, and abilities that are typically associated with the job. It is not all-inclusive and may vary from position to position. Hiring agencies may, depending on the specific nature of the position, modify these knowledge, skills, and abilities and/or identify additional knowledge, skills, and abilities, based on a current position analysis.)
- Apply social work and/or mental health assessment and counseling techniques
- Assist in the coordination of program activities and services.
- Observe details at close range and at a distance.
- Observe physical conditions, behavior or surroundings for potential areas of concern or inappropriate activity.
- Hear sounds that may indicate potential areas of concern or inappropriate activity
- Use non-violent crisis intervention techniques
- Speak clearly, concisely and effectively; listen to, and understand, information and ideas as presented verbally
- Use case management software systems
- Compose and produce reports, documents and related material
- Provide consultation and/or expert advice or testimony
- Court/hearing, rules, records, procedures and protocol agency and/or organizational program(s),
- Interviewing techniques
- Communicate information and ideas clearly, and concisely, in writing; read and understand information presented in writing
- Human behavior and performance, mental processes, and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders
- Familiarity with interviewing and counseling techniques; familiarity with principles of behavior and learning; familiarity with the criminal justice and legal systems
- Licensed as a Certified Social Worker (CSW) or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
- Risks found in the typical office setting, which is adequately lighted, heated and ventilated, e.g., safe use of office equipment, avoiding trips and falls, observing fire regulations, etc.
- Employee will be working in a jail type environment with a mentally ill population, safety and risk issues inherent while working within a psychiatric setting are presumed.
- Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to perform the work; however, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying light items; driving an automobile, etc. Special physical demands are not required to perform the work.
- Department of Human Resource Management rules and DHS policies regarding promotions and transfers apply to current employees.
- The Utah State Hospital is a smoke free environment. No tobacco use is allowed on campus.
- Only applicants that meet minimum qualifications will be contacted
This position is covered under the Federal CMS COVID-19 vaccination mandate. As a condition of employment, successful candidates must provide proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19 prior to their start date.
For more information or to apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/utah/jobs/3416531/social-worker?keywords=social%20worker&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs.
This jobs board is provided as a courtesy to our social work community. All job postings are the responsibility of the posting entity. Prospective applicants should do their due diligence in confirming/investigating any posted job opportunity. The University of Utah is not responsible for the content of, nor any resulting employment arrangements resulting from, job postings from outside entities.
Discussion channel for insightful chat about our events, news, and activities.
- Masters (11)
- LCSW (26)
- Homelessness (2)
- CSW (24)
- CMHC (15)
- AMHC (1)
- LMFT (14)
- Salt Lake City (10)
- Utah County (2)
- MSW (3)
- Supervision Available (7)
- Virginia (1)
- Ogden (2)
- LCMHC (3)
- LPC (2)
- ACMHC (10)
- Training (1)
- Utah (1)
- Idaho (1)
- California (1)
- Oregon (1)
- CSWI (1)
- St. George (3)
- Youth (4)
- Girls (1)
- Men's Services (1)
- Outdoors (1)
- Bi-Lingual (Spanish & English) preferred (5)
- Young Adults (1)
- Bachelors (2)
- PhD (2)
- SUDC (2)
- Park City (3)
- School Social Worker (1)
- AMFT (3)
- Bi-Lingual preferred (1)
- Refugee Services (1)
- Millcreek (1)
- MFT (5)
- School Social Work (2)
- Substance Use Disorder (8)
- Brigham City (2)
- Northern Utah (1)
- Murray (3)
- Cedar City (1)
- Washington County (1)
- Magna (1)
- LMHC (1)
- Bi-Lingual (Spanish & English) (3)
- Salt Lake (1)
- Provo (1)
- Sandy (1)
- Heber City (1)
- ACHMC (1)
- Tooele (1)
- South Jordan (2)
- Layton (1)
- Survivors (1)
- Children (2)
- Bountiful (1)
- Medical Social Worker (1)
- SSW (2)
- Familiy (1)
- Mount Pleasant (1)
- Refugee Service (1)
- LACMHC (1)
- LAMFT (1)
- Taylorsville (1)
- Prison (1)
- U of U Campus (1)
- Medical Social Work (1)
- Older Adults (1)
- ASUDC (1)