Mental Health Therapist
Latino Behavioral Health Services (LBHS) is a nonprofit, grassroots organization created to minimize the disparities in access to mental health services among the underserved Latino population concentrated in SL Co. and the rest of Utah. As a peer run organization, Latino Behavioral Health Services exists to enhance the mental health awareness and well-being of people with mental illness, their caregivers and loved ones through support, education, empowerment, facilitation of resources and services with competent responsiveness to cultural, socio-economic and linguistic characteristics. The work of LBHS embodies a theory of change rooted in capacity building: teach a man to fish one at a time.
As a peer (consumer/family) organization, the Latino Behavioral Health Services exists to enhance the mental health awareness and well-being of people with mental illness and substance use disorders and their caregivers and loved ones in the state of Utah, responding to cultural, socio-economic and linguistic characteristics. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect in which peers are involved in every level of the LBHS structure.
About the Position
LBHS is seeking to expand its individual, family, and group therapy services for the Spanish speaking community of UT. LBHS clients are typically Spanish speaking, but may also speak English or occasionally another language. The therapist may also facilitate support groups, provide community education about behavioral health, help with outreach and advocacy, and/or offer support in the office with administrative work or special projects. LBHS is seeking a certified social worker who can provide these services.
Weekly supervision will be provided by the clinical director, Jules Martinez, LCSW.
The hourly rate for this position is $20 - $25 hourly for 40 hours weekly. Also included in compensation are 12 days of paid time off annually, a robust benefits package including health, dental, vision, life insurance, and IRA. Frequent opportunities for paid training and professional development are provided.
The therapist will work 40 hours weekly. They may choose their hours during office hours (Monday through Friday 10am - 6pm, and Saturday 10am - 2pm), and should make every effort to be available to meet client needs.
Our main office is located in South Salt Lake, and most of our classes, groups, and clinical services are offered in this location. We have offices in Provo, Ogden, Park City, and Saint George and the therapist may be asked to provide services in these locations at times.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Mental Health Therapist
● 32 clinical hours weekly serving mostly Spanish speaking adults and English speaking youth (12-18) and their parents. Clinical hours may include individual, family or group therapy as needed by the community.
● Responsible for documentation for all clients, including clinical evaluation,
biopsychosocial assessment, treatment plan, and progress notes in a timely manner.
● Assist clients with symptom management and recovery.
● Promote personal growth and development with mental health issues.
● Assist, teach, and support clients regarding activities of daily living, vocational skills, housing access, maintaining financial supports, and building support networks.
● Link clients to other external sources of help, and coordinates care when needed.
● Attend and participate in weekly clinical and staff meetings.
Requirements: The Therapist will be required to pass a background check. They will be thoroughly committed to Latino Behavioral Health Service’s mission. All candidates will be a licensed mental health provider (LCSW, CSW, LMHC, LMFT, etc). Additionally, they will be fluent in English and Spanish.
Prefered Experience, Skills and Abilities: Because LBHS makes every effort to uphold
its mission as a peer run organization, those with lived experience similar to those
of the community we serve will be strongly preferred. Therefor, LBHS makes every effort
to hire and promote internally, those resident partners who have moved through LBHS
programs as peers. Additionally, LBHS values the following experiences, skills and
● Bicultural - in Spanish/English
● Lived experience as or ability to work compassionately with people with mental health or substance use problems
● Lived experience as or ability to work compassionately with people from marginalized communities
Other preferred experiences, skills and abilities include:
● Experience working with adults, youth, and families, especially those with a mental
health or substance use problem.
● Knowledge of community resources including functions of other social service agencies in Utah
● Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate
communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
● Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
Excellent knowledge of standards, ethics, and regulations for the behavioral health field
● Proficient in MS Office and computer systems (e.g. patient management software)
● Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
Applicants who do not have all of these preferred experiences, skills, and abilities, but who are committed to LBHS’s mission are encouraged to apply!
This jobs board is provided as a courtesy to our social work community. All job postings are the responsibility of the posting entity. Prospective applicants should do their due diligence in confirming/investigating any posted job opportunity. The University of Utah is not responsible for the content of, nor any resulting employment arrangements resulting from, job postings from outside entities.
Discussion channel for insightful chat about our events, news, and activities.
- Masters (11)
- LCSW (26)
- Homelessness (2)
- CSW (24)
- CMHC (15)
- AMHC (1)
- LMFT (14)
- Salt Lake City (10)
- Utah County (2)
- MSW (3)
- Supervision Available (7)
- Virginia (1)
- Ogden (2)
- LCMHC (3)
- LPC (2)
- ACMHC (10)
- Training (1)
- Utah (1)
- Idaho (1)
- California (1)
- Oregon (1)
- CSWI (1)
- St. George (3)
- Youth (4)
- Girls (1)
- Men's Services (1)
- Outdoors (1)
- Bi-Lingual (Spanish & English) preferred (5)
- Young Adults (1)
- Bachelors (2)
- PhD (2)
- SUDC (2)
- Park City (3)
- School Social Worker (1)
- AMFT (3)
- Bi-Lingual preferred (1)
- Refugee Services (1)
- Millcreek (1)
- MFT (5)
- School Social Work (2)
- Substance Use Disorder (8)
- Brigham City (2)
- Northern Utah (1)
- Murray (3)
- Cedar City (1)
- Washington County (1)
- Magna (1)
- LMHC (1)
- Bi-Lingual (Spanish & English) (3)
- Salt Lake (1)
- Provo (1)
- Sandy (1)
- Heber City (1)
- ACHMC (1)
- Tooele (1)
- South Jordan (2)
- Layton (1)
- Survivors (1)
- Children (2)
- Bountiful (1)
- Medical Social Worker (1)
- SSW (2)
- Familiy (1)
- Mount Pleasant (1)
- Refugee Service (1)
- LACMHC (1)
- LAMFT (1)
- Taylorsville (1)
- Prison (1)
- U of U Campus (1)
- Medical Social Work (1)
- Older Adults (1)
- ASUDC (1)