Volunteer - Camp Hobé
Camp Hobé creates an atmosphere that enhances selfesteem, fosters independence and friendships, and creates a feeling of belonging.
Summer Camp for Kids with Cancer (& similar disorders) and Their Siblings
Volunteering with us could be one of the best experiences of your life! There is much to learn from our inspirational campers and we never run out of fun! Volunteers are needed for 4 camp sessions: Day Camp / Hobé Juniors for ages 4-7 years (June 9-11, 2022), Kids Week for ages 7-11 years (June 12-17, 2022), Teen Week for ages 12-19 years (June 19-24, 2022), and Virtual Camp for ages 6-19 years (June/July, dates TBD). For in-person camps, volunteers stay overnight at camp during their assigned session and serve in these roles:
● Counselors-in-Training (Kids Week and Day Camp only)
● Cabin Counselors
● Activity Leaders or Counselors (nature, music, arts and crafts, field games, drama, archery, poetry, ropes)
● Kitchen staff (head cook, kitchen assistant)
● Medical staff (nurse, physician, nurse practitioner, physician assistant)
● Lifeguards (Red Cross certified or equivalent).
Camp Hobé in-person camp is held at the Elks Camp Wapiti site in beautiful Settlement Canyon, 30 minutes southwest of Salt Lake. The site offers 17 cabins, a main lodge, shower and bath facilities, and an infirmary with treatment rooms. Recreational facilities include an outdoor pavilion, an outdoor amphitheatre, a swimming pool, an arts and crafts cabin, and a sand pit volleyball court.
All volunteers must apply each year, whether new or returning. Volunteers are chosen based on the applicant’s
strengths, the camp’s needs, and past performance (for returning volunteers). We make hiring decisions carefully, so that we can have the best volunteer leadership team. We do not guarantee any applicant a spot at camp, whether you are new to our program or have volunteered with us previously. To be considered, volunteers must meet these requirements:
For a Counselor-in-Training (CIT) position (Kids Week and Day Camp/Hobé Juniors ONLY):
1. Age 16-18 years by May 15th
2. Complete and submit a CIT application here https://camphobe.campmanagement.com/staff
3. Submit a written letter of reference with your CIT application (may upload or send by email)
4. Submit 2 short essay questions with your CIT application (included in online application form)
5. Complete an in-person interview
6. Be able to attend Staff Training in May (usually the third Saturday of May)
7. Pass a criminal background check if you will be 18 years old by March 31st.
For a Counselor / Medical Staff / Kitchen Staff position for any session:
1. Age ≥ 21 years Teen Week and ≥ 19 for Kids Week or Day Camp/Hobé Juniors
2. Complete & submit a Volunteer application here https://camphobe.campmanagement.com/staff
3. Complete an in-person interview
4. Be able to attend Staff Training in May (usually the third Saturday)
5. Pass a criminal background check.
6. If you are a former Camp Hobé camper: You must serve as a CIT for at least 1 year if you attended Hobé as a
camper in 2021. This does not apply to you if you attended Camp Hobé as a camper in earlier years, or if you
never attended Camp Hobé as a camper.
Application forms and job descriptions are available at https://camphobekids.org/home/volunteer/. Complete the correct application by March 1st (priority deadline). Applications must be completed by the applicant (not by a parent, relative, friend, or significant other). Once we review your application, we’ll contact you to schedule an interview.
Volunteer training is conducted during May and onsite before the camp session.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 801-557-2605 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to help! Wapiti Mama (aka Christina Beckwith), Executive Director, Camp Hobé or Shamar Lejardi, Volunteer Coordinator
This jobs board is provided as a courtesy to our social work community. All job postings are the responsibility of the posting entity. Prospective applicants should do their due diligence in confirming/investigating any posted job opportunity. The University of Utah is not responsible for the content of, nor any resulting employment arrangements resulting from, job postings from outside entities.
Discussion channel for insightful chat about our events, news, and activities.
- CSW (6)
- LCSW (6)
- ACMHC (2)
- CMHC (2)
- LMFT (3)
- Bi-Lingual (Spanish & English) preferred (3)
- Children (4)
- Youth (5)
- Weber County (1)
- Davis County (1)
- LPCC (1)
- APRN (1)
- Supervision Available (3)
- Murray (1)
- SSW (1)
- LPN (1)
- Medical Social Work (2)
- Clearfield (1)
- South Salt Lake (1)
- Ogden (1)
- Masters (9)
- South Jordan (1)
- LCMHC (1)
- MFT (1)
- Clinical Psychologist (1)
- U of U Campus (6)
- Salt Lake City (9)
- Bachelors (2)
- Women's Services (2)
- College of Social Work (1)
- Bi-Lingual (Spanish & English) (1)
- AMFT (1)
- Bi-Lingual preferred (1)
- North Salt Lake City (1)
- Homelessness (1)
- Lehi (1)
- Salt Lake County (1)
- Substance Use (1)