School Social Worker
The Utah Virtual Academy and K¹² give Utah kids in grades K-12 the chance to learn in the ways that are right for them. We are hiring a full-time Licensed Clinical Social Worker for our school for the 2022-23 school year.
- The award-winning K¹² curriculum
- Full-time, tuition-free online public-school option
- An active, supportive school community
- A range of extracurricular activities
- A robust Advanced Learner Program
- Books, materials, and loaner computer system (grades K-6)
- The only statewide virtual public charter school in the state to offer the complete K¹² experience
- Students graduate with a high school diploma that meets all state requirements.
Summary: School social work is a specialized practice area within the profession of social work. School social workers are a vital part of the total educational team of a school. The primary object of school social work is to improve student’s potential for improved academic performance in the school.School social workers work collaboratively with teachers, administrators, counselors, psychologists, nurses, speech pathologists, other staff and families. School social workers attempt to integrate information from many sources along with a student’s overall social, emotional, behavioral and adaptive functioning in school, at home, and within the community in order to improve learning opportunities and develop educational resources. School social workers are bound by professional ethics and are responsible for their continued professional growth and development.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Schedule and conduct parent interviews with regard to academic concerns, family crisis, behavioral issues and/or special education evaluations.
- Provide direct treatment or intervention for mental, emotional and behavioral disorders for students, their parents and groups of students.
- Provide interventions and support services in times of crisis, i.e. suicide, death, assaults, school violence and other catastrophic events.
- Help to evaluate and assess eligibility for students to receive special education services as Emotionally Disturbed.
- Systematic observation and bio-psychosocial assessment of children and youth in order to formulate diagnostic impressions and provide recommendations for interventions.
- Complete Functional Behavior Assessments and Develop Behavior Intervention Plans.
- Administer, interpret, and report selected empirical based assessments of clients.
- Acts as an advocate for students’ rights.
- Refer and link families and students to community resources and make agency contacts for information and services such as FIA, medical and psychiatric hospital and clinics, substance abuse centers, psychotherapist, legal aid, courts, ISDs, etc.
- Crisis intervention and follow-up (home, school and community) including home visits and/or meeting families at the UTVA office as needed.
- Coordinate and develop classroom and community programs.
- Provide in-service education to school personnel regarding parenting education, disability, awareness, violence prevention, and self- awareness.
- Coordinate, plan and participate in multidisciplinary team and IEP team meeting.
- Consultation with families, students, teachers, parents, administrators and other staff.
- Collaboration with community resources and agency personnel serving families.
- Responsible for punctual, regular and consistent attendance.
- Serve as school McKinney Vento Homeless Liaison, assisting students and families experiencing homelessness to ensure that they have equal educational opportunities.
The LCSW will work as a Student Services team member supporting and collaborating with:
- Family Engagement Coordinator
- Strong Start Coordinator
- Attendance/Truancy Coordinator
- Communications Coordinator
- Student Services Administrator
- Other school staff
Administrators, Teachers, Mentors, Principals, Ops Staff, Virtual Classroom Environment:
- Create and manage home office.
- Establish and maintain a positive rapport with assigned families.
- Support students with set-up and maintenance of their teaching environment.
- Support students through basic computer troubleshooting.
- Collaborates with peers.
- Build community by contributing to school message boards, newsletter and events.
- Travel to do home visits and meet with families at the office as needed.
- Travel to and participate in staff meetings and professional development sessions.
- Travels to and participates in monthly outings and marketing events
- State testing support to families
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in Social Work
- CSW certification
Other Skills & Abilities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, e.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge and proficiency in UTVA/K12 platforms and systems
- Strong collaboration and problem-solving abilities
- High degree of reliability
Preferred Qualifications * Previous experience working with school age youth
- Experience in working with at risk students. Utah Virtual Academy is committed to providing an environment that is free from all forms of sex discrimination, which includes gender-based discrimination, sexual harassment and sexual violence, as regulated by Title VII and Title IX, and to insuring the accessibility of appropriate grievance procedures for addressing all complaints regarding all forms of sex discrimination and sexual harassment. Utah Virtual Academy reserves the authority to independently deal with sex discrimination and sexual harassment whenever becoming aware of their existence, regardless of whether a complaint has been lodged in accordance with the grievance procedure set forth below.
For more information or to apply, visit https://www.indeed.com/job/school-social-worker-cf123346bfdf8497.
This jobs board is provided as a courtesy to our social work community. All job postings are the responsibility of the posting entity. Prospective applicants should do their due diligence in confirming/investigating any posted job opportunity. The University of Utah is not responsible for the content of, nor any resulting employment arrangements resulting from, job postings from outside entities.
Discussion channel for insightful chat about our events, news, and activities.