Peer Support Specialist
The Road Home is seeking a highly motivated individual who is committed, compassionate, willing to be challenged, and who wants to make a difference in the lives of others. We are seeking a Certified Peer Support Specialist to work at South Salt Lake’s new Men’s Resource Center. The certified Peer Support Specialist will provide peer support and mentorship to guests that are interested in behavioral health treatment. The Peer Support Specialist will engage in relationship building with guests who may exhibit a need for additional services.
1. Serve as a peer mentor to individuals and groups. Offer a positive example of a person with lived experience who has been successful at managing his/her own recovery from mental health and/or substance use disorders.
2. Assist guests with paperwork, schedule appointments with Housing Coordination staff, Housing Authorities, Property Managers and other entities.
3. Participate in clinical staffing meetings and coordinate with clinical staff to develop and implement individualized treatment plans.
4. Increase awareness of and support guest participation in consumer self-help and advocacy organizations.
5. Assist guests in identifying and engaging/re-engaging with family, friends, and other natural supports.
6. Provide ongoing assessment, problem-solving, side-by-side services, skill teaching, support, and environmental adaptations to assist guests with activities of daily living.
7. Visit with program participants who are experiencing homeless or recently housed and provide support for them as they stabilize in housing.
8. Other duties as assigned.
9. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Education and Experience
• High School Diploma or equivalent required.
• Participation in the State of Utah’s program for Peer Support Certification within 6 months of hire is required.
• Previous training and experience working with severe and persistent mental illness and substance use disorders preferred.
• Personal experience with mental illness and/or substance use disorders and demonstrates a level of recovery sufficient to manage their illness and function independently.
Required Skills and Abilities
1. Working knowledge of community resources.
2. Familiarity with Trauma-Informed Care and Housing First philosophies.
3. Ability to be proactive and maintain organization, initiating daily tasks, and coordinating schedules working as a member of a team.
4. Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel spreadsheets.
5. Ability to build and foster relationships with partner agencies, Housing Authorities, landlords and other interested parties.
6. Ability to maintain a calm demeanor amidst potentially high distress population.
7. Current Utah Driver’s License required.
8. Demonstrates awareness of and sensitivity to diverse populations. Ability to contribute to the Agency's commitment to enhancing awareness and appreciation of diverse ethnic and cultural heritages.
9. Ability to pass a background check and drug screening required.
Physical and Equipment Requirements
• Ability to lift and/or move 10 pounds (files).
• Ability to enter guests’ dwellings, including climbing stairs.
• Ability to stand and walk for an extended period of time.
Instructions to Apply
To apply, email your resume to email@example.com and include the job title, MRC Certified Peer Support Specialist, in the subject line.
The Road Home is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information on this and other positions at The Road Home, visit https://theroadhome.org/careers-positions/.
This jobs board is provided as a courtesy to our social work community. All job postings are the responsibility of the posting entity. Prospective applicants should do their due diligence in confirming/investigating any posted job opportunity. The University of Utah is not responsible for the content of, nor any resulting employment arrangements resulting from, job postings from outside entities.
Discussion channel for insightful chat about our events, news, and activities.
- Youth (6)
- Supervision Available (2)
- CSW (20)
- Homelessness (11)
- Salt Lake City (24)
- Men's Services (1)
- Bachelors (9)
- Family (7)
- Children (1)
- Bi-Lingual (Spanish & English) (1)
- LCSW (19)
- ACMHC (11)
- CMHC (6)
- LMFT (9)
- Masters preferred (1)
- Bi-Lingual (Spanish & English) preferred (2)
- U of U Campus (3)
- College of Social Work (1)
- Millcreek (1)
- Relationship & Sexual Violence (1)
- Substance Use Disorder (9)
- Utah (1)
- Taylorsville (1)
- Masters (6)
- American Fork (1)
- Murray (1)
- Provo (2)
- Medical Social Work (3)
- Riverton (2)
- LCMHC (8)
- APRN (1)
- Sandy (1)
- Heber City (1)
- MFTI (8)
- MFT (2)
- ACHMC (1)
- South Salt Lake City (2)
- MSW (1)
- LPC (1)
- Utah County (1)
- St. George (1)
- SUDC (1)
- Kaysville (1)
- AMFT (1)