Seasonal Lead Housing Advocate
The Road Home seeks employees that have a deep commitment to the mission of serving adults and families in our community that are experiencing homelessness. We are looking for highly motivated individuals who are committed, compassionate, willing to be challenged, and who want to make a difference in the lives of others. The Seasonal Lead Housing Advocate will provide excellent customer service, resources, and support to our guests from a Trauma Informed Care and Housing First perspective.
The Seasonal Lead Housing Advocate will help to provide safe and warm shelter to homeless and vulnerable individuals during the winter. This team member will work in a homeless shelter system that provides emergency shelter to over 1,000 individuals nightly, and permanent supportive housing to over 1,700 individuals each day. We, at The Road Home, believe that the people we have the privilege to serve deserve our best every day. Working at The Road Home is an amazing opportunity to make a difference in our community and to help change the lives of other.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide quality customer service to our guests, who may be in need of resources in addition to a warm bed for the night.
2. Observe, and help regulate activities at the shelter, ensuring rules and procedures are followed.
3. Provide clear and specific information to residents, and instruct residents of shelter rules/procedures in a kind, compassionate, and Trauma Informed way.
4. Assist in maintaining a clean and safe facility, identifying special needs and referring needs to supervisor.
5. Assist in resolving conflicts which may arise among residents.
6. Write incident reports where appropriate, maintain records of resident stays, and maintain accurate shelter log.
7. Answer phones, take messages and respond to the public.
8. Provide occasional crisis intervention, and emergency interface with community resources such as EMS and law enforcement.
9. Provides assistance and support to St. Vincent’s Supervisor and acts as lead in the absence of the Supervisor.
10. Operate as part of a team that strives to serve the homeless in our community.
11. Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
High School Diploma or GED required.
Skills and Requirements
1. Excellent customer service skills.
2. Able to communicate effectively and handle difficult situations with professionalism, compassion and from a Trauma Informed Care perspective.
3. Ability to exercise proper discretion and independent judgment to make quick decisions, occasionally without immediate direction or supervision.
4. Knowledge of internal and community resources.
5. Flexibility, enthusiasm, and a commitment to make a difference.
6. Ability to actively listen, empathize, and offer support to guests.
7. Ability to work independently and use sound judgment within the Trauma Informed framework to make decisions.
8. Desire to inspire, motivate and support staff and guests.
9. Understanding of the Housing First philosophy. Willingness to have conversations with guests about housing.
10. Good computer skills.
11. Willingness to accept supervision, direction, and constructive feedback.
12. Creativeness in problem solving.
13. Reliability and dependability.
14. Must pass pre-employment background check and drug screen.
Physical and Equipment Requirements
Ability to lift 25 pounds
Must be able to stand/walk for an hour or more at a time
Instructions to Apply
To apply, please email email@example.com. Please include the job title Seasonal Lead Housing Advocate, in the subject line.
The Road Home is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job title: Seasonal Lead Housing Advocate
Reports to: Shift Supervisor
Position Status: Seasonal
Full time: October 1, 2020- April 15, 2021
Salary Range: $15.00 hour to start
EEO Class: Administrative Support Workers
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Shift: Current shift openings: Graveyard shift (11:00pm-7:00am) or Swing shift(6:30pm-11:30pm)
Discussion channel for insightful chat about our events, news, and activities.
- Utah (1)
- Youth (4)
- Women's Services (1)
- Masters (4)
- CSW (4)
- LCSW (3)
- LMFT (2)
- Orem (1)
- Bi-Lingual (Spanish & English) preferred (3)
- Salt Lake City (4)
- Millcreek (1)
- CMHC (2)
- Bi-Lingual (1)
- Substance Use Disorder (1)
- CSUDC (1)
- LSUDC (1)
- CASUDC (1)
- LASDUC (1)
- Policy (1)
- Washington DC (1)
- Bachelors (3)
- MSW (1)
- Washington (1)
- Draper (3)
- St. George (1)
- LPC (1)
- ACMHC (2)
- MFT (1)
- Homelessness (1)