MVP SLCO Homeless Men's Support AmeriCorps
If you have a deep commitment to help single men experiencing homelessness in our community, this job may be right for you! We are looking for a highly motivated person who is interested in making a difference in the lives of others.
The Road Home’s Homeless Men’s Support AmeriCorps member will work with single men, ages 18 and up, at the Men's Resource Center shelter who are experiencing homelessness to help them transition quickly out of emergency shelter and into community housing. The AmeriCorps member will take on a variety of tasks related to ensuring guests can continue to access regular services despite the current COVID-19 pandemic, which has brought a need to shift our normal operating procedures. Tasks include assisting with setting up, facilitating, and providing follow-up resources for regular telehealth, employment, housing, and legal providers, as well as seeking additional resources that can be provided remotely to guests of the Men’s Resource Center. Additionally, this AmeriCorps member will provide everyday support and services to men including transportation assistance, help with housing searches, advocacy with landlords, and helping shelter guests navigate the housing process.
In addition to housing related tasks, this AmeriCorps member will play an integral
role in establishing a support and empowerment network for the men assisted by The
Road Home. Additionally, they will assist in the operations of an internal task force
that is designed to make the agency’s facilities and programming, housing focused.
Option for Service:
Full Time, 1700 Hours Minimum. Start date: January 1, 2021. A minimum of 35 service hours per week, ending service on December 30, 2021
Full time AmeriCorps Members are provided a modest financial compensation in the form of cost-of-living allowances; referred to as a “living stipend” up to $18,250; Proof of Healthcare reimbursement up to $100 per month if eligible and participation, paid Student Loan Deferment, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, Child Care Assistance if needed, and the AmeriCorps Education Award. After successfully completing their term of service, full time members may receive the Education Award of up to $6,195. The Education Award can pay for additional college, graduate school courses, or it can pay off existing qualifying federal student loans.
Full-time members are required to commit to a full year service agreement and complete
a “minimum” of:
1,700 service hours
Education Award $6,195
Stipend amount bi-weekly $700.00
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Assist with facilitating telehealth, employment, housing, and various other types of remote video appointments for guests.
2. Coordinate daily support tasks on behalf of guests in shelter, including transportation to housing related activities and meetings, gathering vital documents, and community events.
3. Organize special event support for single men in shelter and serve as liaison between Case Management team, Development team, and Men’s Homeless Resource Center leadership team on special events.
4. Work with Case Managers and Housing Advocate Manager to build a support and empowerment network for single men using the Housing First framework.
5. Other duties as assigned.
1. Clear a full FBI Criminal background check, State background check, and the National Sex Offender Criminal background check.
2. Clear drug test.
3. High School Diploma or GED required. College degree preferred.
4. A resident or legal citizen of the United States.
5. Valid Utah Driver’s License.
6. Positions require the candidates be 21 or over.
Knowledge of and/or Willingness to Learn
1. Computer literate (i.e., Outlook, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
2. Experience working and/or education in social services field a plus.
3. Issues impacting people who have been or are homeless.
4. Methods and techniques of effective case management and assessment skills.
5. Social service programs and community resources.
1. Ability to solve complex situations and diffuse explosive situations with professionalism, empathy, and from a Trauma Informed Care perspective.
2. Ability to approach problems pro-actively with a solution- based focus.
3. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
4. Ability to establish working relationships with residents, co-workers, and other professionals.
5. Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively.
6. Basic understanding of Trauma Informed Care and Housing First philosophies and a willingness to incorporate them into your work on a daily basis.
7. Ability to provide constructive and professional feedback to clients.
8. Ability to maintain client confidentiality.
9. Ability to display cultural competency, appreciation, compassion and understanding of the needs of clients.
Instructions to Apply
Committed applicants please apply directly on the AmeriCorps website at:
The Road Home is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Road Home considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Position Title: Homeless Men’s Support AmeriCorps
Reports to: Men’s Resource Center Staff Manager
Position Status: Full Time, 1,700 hours of service/35- 40 hours week
Living Allowance: $700 Bi-weekly Living Stipend + Monthly Healthcare reimbursement if eligible; Education Award at successful completion of contract of $6,195 based on full-time hours of service.
Contract Term: January 1, 2021 – December 30, 2021
Shift: Days, Monday through Friday, may need to work occasional nights or weekends.
Discussion channel for insightful chat about our events, news, and activities.
- Homelessness (5)
- Salt Lake City (7)
- AmeriCorps (5)
- Men's Services (2)
- Midvale (1)
- Salt Lake (1)
- Masters (5)
- CSW (2)
- Youth (3)
- LCSW (4)
- CMHC (3)
- ACMHC (1)
- LMFT (3)
- AMFT (1)
- West Valley (3)
- LISW (1)
- LPCC (1)
- MSW (2)
- MBA (1)
- MPA (1)
- MPH (1)
- PhD (1)
- Washington (1)
- Bachelors (1)
- Cottonwood Heights (1)
- Doctorate (1)
- Bi-Lingual (Spanish & English) (1)