Caseworker/Social Service Worker (DCFS)
- Job Description
Becoming a Caseworker I or Social Service Worker at the Utah Division of Child & Family Services (DCFS) can be a life changing event! If you have a social work background, just graduated with a Bachelor's Degree (or will by the time position is hired) in Social Work or related field, and have a passion to work with children and families, Child & Family Services is the place for you. Together we can make a difference through service!
Click here to see a Caseworker at Work
DCFS Caseworkers and Social Service Workers work to keep children with their own families whenever safely possible by assessing their and their families' needs, getting them connected to available resources, and conducting in-home services of appropriate intensity and duration. They work to reunify children who have been removed from their homes whenever possible or find enduring safety and permanency for them through alternative options. To accomplish this, caseworkers and/or social service workers work closely with DCFS Lead Workers and complete DCFS Practice Model Training while performing the following tasks:
- Investigating reports of abuse, exploitation, and/or neglect; assessing risks, strengths, barriers; and determining appropriate actions governing a client's situation.
- Writing and implementing child and family service plans.
- Coordinating and referring services to children and families offered by community resources, placement providers, collateral agencies, the courts, and community partners.
- Orchestrating individual, family, or group therapy sessions that coincide with established treatment plans and providing crisis intervention if necessary.
- Presiding over visits between parents and children, monitoring behavior, reporting observational notes and concerns to appropriate professional/clinical staff, and updating case files.
- Conducting in-home visits.
- Testifying in court or hearings regarding actions, findings, procedures, and protocols.
- Preparing detailed case documentation that includes: intake records, investigation summaries, risk assessment social summaries, needs assessments, service plans, case history, and activity logs.
- May include performing 24-hour-on-call services as needed under supervisor's direction.
This recruitment may be used to fill Caseworker I and/or Social Service Worker positions at any DCFS office in Utah County which includes: Provo, American Fork, Orem, or Salem, Utah.
This recruitment may also be used over a six month time period to fill Caseworker I and/or Social Service Worker positions at any western region DCFS office which includes: Provo, American Fork, Orem, Salem, Heber, Delta, Fillmore, or Nephi.
This position may be filled as a Caseworker I or Social Service Worker depending on your qualifications.
Caseworker I: Typically starts at entry, $15.88 per hour
Requires a Bachelor's Degree in social work or related field
Social Service Worker: Typically starts at entry, $17.68 per hour
Requires an active Social Service Worker license or higher license in the State of Utah
The model candidate for this position is someone who:
- Holds a bachelor's degree (or will by the time position is hired) in social work, psychology, sociology, family and human development, human services, criminal justice or degree closely related to social work.
- Is adept at interacting professionally with all levels of management while managing a diversified workload and challenging situations.
- Deals with people in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact, and professionalism.
- Holds a current valid driver's license.
- Has a current social service worker license or higher license active in the State of Utah (required for the Social Service Worker position).
Why You Should Join Our Team
Become an integral part of a Utah Division working together to keep children safe and strengthen families in our communities. Experience a sense of achievement for a job well done and enjoy work life balance! We offer great health benefits and retirement plans, generous paid time off, and a balanced work schedule to afford quality time spent with your family. Click here to see what makes working for the State of Utah awesome: Compensation & Benefits.
Contribute to our communities and proactively support the Division of Child and Family Services by helping us keep children safe and strengthen families. DCFS CLICK HERE
- Supplemental Information
- Travel required; you may be required to use your personal vehicle to perform the duties of this position; approved mileage is reimbursable through State Finance.
- All DCFS job offers are contingent upon passing a Background Screening Application (BSA).
- Sedentary - Typically, you will sit comfortably to perform the work; however, you may do some walking; standing; bending; carry light items; or drive an automobile, etc.
- Moderate - Some of the work performed requires some physical exertion. You may be required to stand; walk over rough surfaces; bend; crouch; stoop; stretch; reach; lift moderately heavy items (up to 50 lbs.), e.g. lifting a small child in a recurring manner and/or for long periods of time.
- You will be exposed to risks found in the typical office setting, which is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated, e.g., safe use of office equipment, avoiding trips and falls, observing fire regulations, etc.
- Some special risks which may require the use of special safety precautions, for example, you may be entering clients homes and possibly working around contagious diseases, such as parasitic infections caused by head lice, bed bugs, scabies, etc. or illegal substances, etc.
Discussion channel for insightful chat about our events, news, and activities.
- Washington (6)
- Everett (1)
- North Puget Sound (1)
- Salt Lake City (5)
- U of U Campus (6)
- Logan (1)
- Park City (1)
- Bountiful (2)
- Cedar City (1)
- Utah County (3)
- Fillmore (1)
- Dixie (1)
- Provo (2)
- Clearfield (1)
- Manti (1)
- CSW (3)
- LCSW (8)
- LISW (1)
- LMFT (3)
- LPCC (1)
- CMHC (1)
- Masters (10)
- Licensure Supervision (3)
- Youth (12)
- MSW (2)
- Weber County (1)
- David County (1)
- Tooele County (1)
- Salt Lake County (1)
- Older Adults (1)
- LCMHC (2)
- West Valley (6)
- Taylorsville (2)
- ACMHC (1)
- AMFT (1)
- OCD (1)
- Anxiety (1)
- Summer Employment (4)
- Seattle (1)
- MA (1)
- Family (5)
- Virginia (1)
- South Carolina (1)
- New Hampshire (1)
- Draper (1)
- Doctorate (1)
- North Carolina (1)
- LPC (2)
- LCAS (1)
- Boston (1)
- Massachusetts (1)
- Oregon (1)
- Spanish Fork (1)
- LP (1)
- Sacramento (1)
- California (1)
- Murray (1)