Mental Health Counselor
Announcement: This position is open until filled. First application review will occur on Friday, October 4, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. Only applications received prior to this time will be included in the review and this position is subject to closing at any time after that date without notification.
Salt Lake City is one of the nation’s best places to live, work and play. Maintaining that reputation as well as implementing new progressive solutions for sustainable growth, means that we need the best people working here. We’re looking for civic minded individuals who want meaningful work that will directly impact the city that we all love. When you join us, you will have the security and peace of mind that comes from a career in local government. We pride ourselves on our dedication to gender pay equity and a friendly and respectful atmosphere for all. Submit an application and see for yourself why Salt Lake City Corp. is the best place to work!
We choose only the very best to work for the residents of this great city — and we reward our hardworking employees with a generous benefits package.
- Medical + HSA or Flex Account
- Medical Premium is only $9.79 biweekly for single coverage and $29.38 biweekly for a family coverage
- Paid time off
- 12 vacation days + 11 paid holidays + 5 paid personal days
- Six weeks of paid parental leave to all new parents
- Tuition Reimbursement up to 4k dollars a year
- Pension or 401K with 10% of salary contributed by the city, no match required
- Dedicated Wellness Clinic for employees and their families
- Discounted Auto/Home/and Pet Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Training and Development
Under the general administrative direction of the Social Work Manager of the Police Department, the employee provides immediate crisis intervention and clinical case management services to citizens and/or their families, along with assistance to prevent the intersection or further intersection with the criminal justice system. These citizens and/or their families may have the following problems: homelessness, substance abuse/dependence, mental and/or chronic health illnesses, domestic violence, employment issues, poverty, being a victim of crime, and access to other basic necessities.
Employees must be willing to work closely with the entire team of the Salt Lake City Police Department, engage with external service providers on a regular basis and have the ability and skills necessary to work with the general public in a positive, friendly, and professional manner.
- Provides clinical & intensive case management services, including, but not limited to the following: biopsychosocial assessments, treatment and service planning, clinical/crisis counseling, consultation, support, information, and appropriate referrals to other community agencies.
- Acts as a bridge between the citizen, department, community, community agencies and other helping professionals to coordinate services and the best route of care for the person looking for assistance.
- Monitors and documents any and all care given to the citizen. Routinely assesses the citizen and family responses to the interventions and services, while also measuring treatment plan effectiveness. Prepares and retains timely correspondence, reports, patient progress, and/or other documentation.
- Conducts individual, family and/or group therapy sessions in accordance with the established treatment plan and provide crisis intervention when necessary.
- Gives debriefing to responders following traumatic incidents as requested by the department.
- Demonstrates and maintains a high standard of confidentiality and sensitivity to the persons and/or families on cultural, ethnic, racial, socioeconomic issues and diversity.
- Assists, educates, informs, and empowers under-represented populations in the community, including vulnerable communities, refugees and immigrant populations.
- Attends staff/staffing meetings and other meetings as assigned.
- May be required to drive a vehicle to and from various locations throughout the community and provide transportation for citizens as needed.
- Rides with officers to assist in co-responder model serving those in crisis and working with top utilizers of 911 services.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or Mental Health Counseling from an accredited college/university.
- Current Licensure with the State of Utah as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Clinical Mental Health Counselor, Certified Social Worker, Associate Clinical Mental Health Counselor, Certified Social Worker Intern or the ability to obtain a state licensure within 6 months of the hire date.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as take initiative and work collaboratively as a part of a team.
- Possess interpersonal skills, active listening skills, critical analysis, and written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated independent judgment to assess and meet citizen needs. Ability to have meaningful outcome oriented dialogue with citizens, families, community agencies and professional schools in coordinating care and services for citizens.
- Demonstrated appropriate boundaries with citizens and/ or their families while providing adequate services to meet citizen needs.
- Possession of a valid state driver license or Utah driving privilege card (or the ability to obtain one within 30 days of employment).
- Ability to successfully pass all appropriate examinations as required by the Salt Lake City Civil Service Commission Rules and Regulations.
- Successful completion of a drug screen if incumbent has not completed it as a Salt Lake City employee.
- Three to five years of related work experience, which includes assessing the physical, mental, social and economic needs of a diverse population.
- Experience working collaboratively with community agencies.
- Experience working in both substance abuse and mental health treatment fields.
- The ability to supervise Certified Social Workers, students and/or Associate Clinical Mental Health Counselors.
- Fluent in oral and written Spanish communication.
- Mental Health Officer Certification.
For more information or to apply, visit https://external-slcgov.icims.com/jobs/4354/licensed-clinical-social-worker---mental-health-counselor/job?mobile=false&width=1903&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-420&jun1offset=-360
Discussion channel for insightful chat about our events, news, and activities.
- Masters (6)
- LCSW (6)
- CMHC (2)
- CSW (8)
- ACMHC (2)
- Mental Health Officer Certification (1)
- Salt Lake City (12)
- Criminal Justice (1)
- Case Management (1)
- Bi-Lingual (Spanish & English) (1)
- Wisconsin (1)
- Massachusetts (3)
- North Carolina (1)
- Alaska (1)
- LPC (2)
- Orem (1)
- MFT (2)
- Doctorate (1)
- Oregon (1)
- Magna (1)
- Licensure Supervision (2)
- Substance Use Disorder (2)
- SSW (2)
- U of U Campus (3)
- Youth (1)
- MSW (5)
- MPD (1)
- RN (1)
- MPA (1)
- Oncology (1)
- Weber County (1)
- Davis County (1)
- Hospice (1)
- Washington (1)
- MA (2)
- Women's Services (1)
- FMT (1)
- PsyD (1)
- PhD (1)
- CAC III (1)
- LAC (1)
- BLS Certification (1)