The Master of Social Work Program prepares students for social work practice, contributing to the development of social work knowledge through research, practice intervention, and active service to the community. The MSW program prepares students for entry into advanced professional social work practice in a global environment with the most current knowledge and skills drawn from various disciplines. This includes providing students with both evidence- and theory-based content emphasizing critical thinking in the examination, analysis, synthesis, and communication of relevant information. Students are expected to complete all program options full-time and largely during daytime hours in the number of years indicated below.
The College of Social Work has seven MSW Program options and three joint degree options:
MSW Program Two Year Full-Time (60 credit hours – two years)
MSW Program Three Year Evening (60 credit hours – three years)
MSW Advanced Standing Program in Salt Lake City(45 credits – one year, BSW graduates only)
MSW Advanced Standing Program in St. George (45 credits – one year, BSW graduates only)
MSW Distance Program in St. George (60 credits – three years)
MSW DCFS Employee Program (60 credits – three years)
MSW DCFS Distance Program (60 credits – three years)
- MSW Program Two Year Full-Time: November 1 & December 15 – start date August the following year
- MSW Program Three Year Evening: November 1 & December 15 every 3 years beginning 2020
- MSW Program Four Year Part-Time: November 1 – start date August the following year
- MSW Advanced Standing Program in Salt Lake City: September 30 & November 1 – start date May the following year
- MSW Distance Program in St. George: November 1 every 3 years beginning 2020
- MSW Advanced Standing Program in St. George: September 30 & November 1 every 3 years beginning 2018 – start date the following May, beginning 2019 (every 3 years)
- MSW DCFS Programs: January 15 – start date every three years beginning in 2021
NOTE: APPLICANTS ARE PERMITTED TO APPLY TO ONLY ONE PROGRAM OPTION EACH YEAR.
1. The University of Utah Master of Social Work program is unable to accept transfer students from another MSW program into any of its programs.
2. The College of Social Work assesses a per-credit-hour differential tuition charge. This differential tuition charge is IN ADDITION to the regular graduate tuition charge. Differential tuition offsets the costs of professional education and is used by all professional programs on campus. Click here for MSW tuition rates. The University increases tuition rates beginning each summer semester, as determined by the Utah legislature and the Board of Regents.